Saturday, 10 October 2026

HCBXCast's 5th Birthday


Today is HCBXCast's birthday. 5 years ago I had the daft idea to do a regular show on my channel where I invited DJs and producers to do a set, and people could listen to it. Simple. As a big dumb male - naturally I only realised it's the show's birthday today - so you have a rushed piece of text to commemorate.

The idea was partly inspired by the old mix tapes you used to get back in the 90s (hence why the artwork has always looked like it has - there was always the desire to release the mixes on tapes somewhere down the line...). I spent most of my youth listening to rave tapes legitimately bought from Ingliston Sunday market, so thought it was a good plan.

As always with me, I have part of an idea and just run with it before I really know what I'm doing. So I just got myself (DJ Asylum) to do the first set, or Volume 1 of HCBXCast. I just planned to upload the set to Youtube, and leave it. No promo or nothing. Lets just see what happens and I can invite proper DJs for volume 2 and give it a bit more fanfare.

So I get it mixed and uploaded to Youtube, schedule it for the time I wanted and oh... what's this? "Set as Premiere" button. Why not? Little did I know, but pressing this button kicked off the reason I've continued to do HCBXCast for 5 years.  

When it came round to the set going live I started listening in myself (just to boost the stats of course). But noticed there was a live chat function and random hardcore heads were chatting live on YouTube about the tracks I was playing! So I jumped in and had a chat, gave out some track IDs etc. And so the Banter Room was formed.

Like I say - this is one of the main reasons I've continued with the show. It's great getting the regulars and not so regulars into the Banter Room for a natter about Hardcore and various other random topics! We've had some proper legends in the Banter Room too with the DJs often dropping in for a chat.

Anyway, back to the original HCBXCast - I played a standard DJ Asylum set with some tough hardcore techno classics, peppered with a couple of my own crappy productions (let's face it - you have to blow your own trumpet, cos no one else will!) Here's the set list.

Set list:
DJ Skinhead - DJ Skinhead (Mutha Fucka Remix)
Delta 9 - Atomizer
Stickhead & Don Demon - Demonhead
DJ Asylum - Out Like A Light
Temper Tantrum - Anthem
DJ Freak - Korea
The Headhunter - Black Monolith
Total Output - Vigilante
The Headhunter - Hellraiser
Bold Bob - Dive Into Steel
Syndicate - Appetite For Destruction
Nasenbluten - Race Against Time
Technosis - Hell On Earth
Industrial Terror Squad - It's Terror
The Untitled - Uncompromising Analog Terror 5
Unknown Source - Nuclear Anarchy
Delta 9 - Here We Go Again
DJ Asylum - Motivate You
DJ Dano & Liza n Eliaz - Pawlow
Gangstar Toons Industry - Untitled
Overcast - I Will Attack

The set went down well with the troops (with the likes of Industrial Strength, Bloody Fist, Kotzaak etc tracks - how could it go wrong?).  

I had the bug after that and it definitely sparked my interest to bring out volume 2 (featuring Doe Doe! This one had even more banter! And a DJ with a bit of clout!). We are now up to Vol 86 (Low Entropy) with number 87 going live next week (Tune in for GabberGirl and drop into the Banter Room).

There you have it. The fading memories of a middle aged failed DJ who plays one of the most niche genres of music in the history of the world. I feckin love hardcore.

HCBXCast forever.

Get a listen to where it all started here: HCBXCast Vol 1 - DJ Asylum

Download all the HCBXCast sets here for FREE: All HCBXCast Sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

HCBXCast's 5th Birthday

Today is HCBXCast's birthday. 5 years ago I had the daft idea to do a regular show on my channel where I invited DJs and pro...